
Before

Before
This past December (2008), Daniel and I decided to host a Christmas Party. This was our motivation to do something about our stair runner. We could either buy a new one or refinish the steps. We chose the latter and knew we had to work quickly because we only had one week until our party! So, exactly a week before the big day, we started refinishing the steps. After making a run to Home Depot, Daniel started pulling up the old rug as well as the tack strips and leftover nails in the wood. That afternoon and the following day, I spent hours sanding. I used an electric hand-held sander, which got the job done, but took hours!
Each day after work, we would work for a few hours on the steps to ensure they would be done by Saturday. Daniel was called to Atlanta for work Tuesday through Thursday, which meant I was now in charge of finishing them. One day I stained every other step (since I needed to be able to go upstairs when I wanted) and painted the vertical risers the color of our trim. The next day I stained the other half of the stairs and then painted the risers again with a second coat of paint.

I'm smiling in this picture, but I'm really not that happy.

Sanded and ready to be stained
The good news is that the stairs looked great by Saturday and most of our guests didn't even know that we had been up late the night before making food and staining our stairs! We did, however, run out of time to put a clear coat on them, but that could wait until after our party was over. It was a lot of hard work I wouldn't have wanted to do in a week, but in the end it was worth it, and we're very glad we took the plunge. The great thing is, we were able to refinish the steps for about $100!

After; complete with garland for our Christmas Party!

After
No comments:
Post a Comment