Saturday, March 14, 2009

Guest Room #1


Before

I had a lot of fun in this room. Daniel calls it my "Spanish room" because it has several things that I brought back from my semester in Spain in college. And the colors-- red, yellow and black-- may remind you of the Spanish flag. Honestly, it was not my intention at all to make a "Spanish room." The red bedding and the yellow chair in the corner were both in my room in college.



It took me a while to find some fabric that had red, yellow and green and complimented the "fun" and almost whimsical feel of the red duvet with the decorative red tufts of fabric and the yellow chenille striped fabric on the chair (which my mom made!), but I finally found some. It's a tropical style fabric that we used as accents in the room.





When my mom came to visit last year, she helped me make a fabric headboard. They are much easier to make than you think!


After


After

To make a fabric headboard:
We bought a piece of plywood the width of a queen bed (or whatever size bed you have) and several feet high. Then buy a piece of foam several inches thick the same size as the plywood. My mom sewed the fabric for the headboard so that it was about a foot longer on all four sides. First, we laid the fabric on a table face down. Then center the foam on top of the fabric and then the piece of plywood on top of the foam. Pull the fabric as tight as possible and staple it to the plywood with a staplegun. It's best to have one person holding the fabric on one side and another person pulling and stapling the fabric down on the opposite side. We then hung it on the wall with picture hanging tools. Just center and hang!

My mom made the curtains in this room as well. Two of these were in my college bedroom, so she just made me another for the extra window in this room.

I had originally painted this bedroom Benjamin Moore's Hawthorne Yellow, which I love. The yellow matched the fabrics really well, but I (once again) changed my mind after a few months. The yellow was very bright and was too much with the other intense colors we had in the room. I recently painted it a very neutral color using Benjamin Moore's Linen White. I think it suits the room much better because instead of walking into a room with intense, bright colors all around, your eye is just drawn to the reds, browns and yellows on the furniture.


After


After; we just need to rehang the window treatments.

No comments:

Post a Comment